Thursday, July 1, 2010

Whytecliff – 13/06/2010

Jason wanted to practice rescue diver skills, and that was our goal today.

Our first dive we went and explored the left side of the bay along the island. I'd not been out that way before, and it turned out to be very pleasant. You can actually circle the island, but it takes quite a bit of time. Our dive was more conservative, and we just went out then turned back at our agreed-on turn pressure. We saw a really interesting fish, which turned out to be a longfin sculpin.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/203/519431004_09f999f2b9.jpg?v=0

I thought for sure it was something strange, but they are very common.

For our rescue skills, we practiced surfacing an unresponsive diver. We took turns and surfaced the other 3 times total. I was in my doubles, so it was a challenge both for me and Jason. Me in that I had to deal with the extra bulk, and he to deal with the extra weight. We agreed that we did pretty well. Slow controlled ascents on almost all attempts.

At the end, we tried to see if we could swim up against the weight of our gear, to simulate a wing failure. Jason was just able to, but there was no way I could swim up against the weight of my doubles. It was a good thing to find out. But not a big concern, as with the setup I have, the chances of both the wing and your drysuit failing at the same time is virtually zero.

No comments:

Post a Comment