Monday, January 24, 2011

Whytecliff 06/01/2011

I did a quick night dive with Vince on this evening.

Thank goodness it wasn't raining, as it was pretty cold. i also had a bunch of gear problems that normally I don't have. My backup regulator was bubbling, but a periodic purge or adjust would stop it. Later I would find that the high-pressure seat in the first stage was worn. That got replaced and it was fine. My suit zipper leaked quite a bit too. I think something must have gotten caught in it because it was closed. There was something else that happened too, but I can't recall. All were very minor issues, but a bunch of them together slowed things down a lot and were very annoying.

The dive itself was interesting. Originally we had thought to do Porteau Cove, but the tide was quite low so we decided to skip that and do the day marker at Whytecliff.

On the way out to the marker, we came across a huge congregation of coonstripe shrimp. And I mean a lot of them, all piled up in one spot. There were a few fish and crabs in the mix too. It was very odd until I realized that they were all crowded around a seal carcass. The carcass looked a lot like a grey rock, so I missed it at first. It also didn't have any flippers or head. Very weird. But the critters were certainly having quite a feast on it.

We also saw a very nice small octopus wandering on the rocks out in the open. It was maybe the size of your hand.

There was no current to speak of, so it was a nice pleasant dive.

No comments:

Post a Comment